The goals of this center are as follows:
- To assemble a diverse team of leaders from academia, business, industry, and professional organizations with experience and expertise in various aspects of Cybersecurity education.
- To enhance capacity for Cybersecurity education by introducing a Cybersecurity minor for all undergraduate majors at SC State University and other participating institutions.
- To enhance faculty capacity through faculty development workshops for selected faculty members at SC State including external grant funding opportunities.
- To increase awareness in Cybersecurity opportunities in the K-12 grade levels through outreach activities.
- To create external and internal teams for assessment and continuous improvement.
Program of Study and Faculty
The cybersecurity program is BS degree program titled as CS with cybersecurity is housed in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science. This program is designed to introduce our majors to the important field of Cybersecurity. Most of the courses, especially the cybersecurity courses include hands-on and virtual laboratory experiences. Students completing this concentration may have better career opportunities. Students in this major are required to complete 125 credit hours to receive a BS Degree in CS with Cybersecurity.
Program Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the CS in Cybersecurity program, graduates will have the ability to:
- Discuss in depth the origins, nature, and current issues in cybersecurity and its related
activities using precise terminology
- Apply a range of cybersecurity concepts to mitigate risks in cybersecurity operations
- Develop solutions for networking and security problems, balancing business concerns, technical issues and security.
- Effectively communicate technical information verbally, in writing, and in presentations.
- Use appropriate resources to stay abreast of the latest industry tools and techniques analyzing the impact on existing systems and applying to future situations.
- Explain the concepts of confidentiality, availability and integrity in Information Assurance, including physical, software, devices, policies and people. Analyze these factors in an existing system and design implementations.